Lately I’ve been trying new recipes and some different baking ideas that I’ve found or made by pulling a few recipes together. I’m trying to cook healthier and becoming more aware of what’s in the foods I’m eating. Everything I make and share here will have Weight Watcher points associated with it.
Here’s the recipe for cabbage rolls that are just 4 Weight Watcher points a piece (this is for 1 meatball and sauce)! (found by using the Weight Watchers recipe builder). Set your oven to 350* and let’s get started!
- 48 1/8 oz cooked 93% lean ground beef
- 2 egg(s)
- 1 medium uncooked onion
- 2 clove(s) garlic cloves
- 2 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup dry Success Rice Boil-in-Bag White Rice, Enriched, Precooked (or rice of your choice but know this could be a factor in your point calculation- use the recipe builder)
- 5 1/2 fl oz V8 100% Vegetable Juice, Low Sodium, Original
Preheat oven to 350°F. Core and cook the whole cabbage in boiling water 10 -15 minutes or until leaves are workable; drain and cool. Carefully pull apart the leaves and cut out the hard white vein in the center of each leaf. Depending on the size of the leaves and the size of the meatballs that you make you might want.
I used just over 3 lbs of ground beef but you can use however much you need. I portioned each meatball in to 2 ounces so I made 23 total. Just adjust where you need. Add 2 eggs to the ground beef; dice onion and garlic and to meat; mix in salt, pepper, and rice. Mix all together- use your hands…get messy! Lastly I added the V8 and gave the meat another good mix.
After the meat was thoroughly mixed I used my handy dandy scale to equally measure 2 ounce meatballs. I set these aside as my cabbage was still cooking and I made the sauce…
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 medium uncooked onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, canned or bottled
- 2 tbsp Parkay 60% Vegetable Oil Spread, Original (or butter of your choice but know this could be a factor in your point calculation- use the recipe builder)
- 3 1/2 cups Hunts Sauce, Tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Domino Light Brown Sugar
- 2 cans or 5 1/2 fl oz V8 100% Vegetable Juice, Low Sodium, Original
Add butter to a low heat until melted. Add onions and garlic until the onions start to caramelize. Add the tomato sauce, lemon juice, V8, and the brown sugar. Mix together and let boil. Once the sauce starts to boil turn heat off.
Now…it’s time to roll!
Place meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf; fold edges over, roll up, and secure with toothpick. Place rolls seam side down in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray (I ended up putting some in the Crockpot). Pour sauce over cabbage rolls. Bake uncovered for 1 hour at 350*.